Silica, also known as Silicon, is a mineral found in abundance in nature, and it can provide a variety of benefits for plants. In fact, silica is the second most abundant mineral in soil, after oxygen. It is essential for plant nutrition and can be found in many fertilizers and soil amendments.
Here are the top 10 benefits of silica for plants:
1. Strengthens Plant Structures: Silica helps to strengthen plant cell walls and helps reduce the impact of temperature extremes, drought, and other environmental stresses.
2. Improves Water Retention: Silica helps improve the absorption and retention of nitrogen and water in the soil, allowing plants to make better use of both.
3. Enhances Nutrient Uptake: Silica increases the availability of iron, zinc, and other minerals, allowing plants to make the most of available nutrients.
4. Increases Photosynthesis: Silica helps plants absorb more sunlight, allowing them to produce more energy and stimulating their growth.
5. Reduces Diseases and Pests: Silica can help to reduce the occurrence of diseases and pests in plants, as it makes them harder to infect.
6. Stimulates Flower Growth: Silica helps to stimulate flower growth and reproduction, increasing the yield of plants.
7. Improves Seed Production: Silica helps plants to produce more viable seeds, making them more robust and ensuring better crop yields.
8. Increases Chlorophyll: Silica can help plants to produce more chlorophyll, resulting in brighter, richer foliage.
9. Prevents Dehydration: Silica helps plants to retain more water, preventing dehydration and allowing them.
10. Increases Transpiration Rate: Silica helps to increase the rate of transpiration, which can help support plant growth.